“We remind everybody who buys fireworks from us to be safe with their fireworks,” said Randi Lee, owner of Fireworks on Veteran’s Memorial by Autozone, who has been selling fireworks for 17 years. “Remember to never light roman candles in your hand.”
Doug Alexander, owner of Double D Fireworks on HWY 167 stressed the same thing.
“I’ve been selling fireworks in Abbeville for 10 years,” he said, “and I’m strong on safety.”
Here are some firework tips for a safe and happy New Year’s Eve and Day.
1. Always purchase fireworks from a reliable source.
2. Always have close adult supervision and never give fireworks to small children.
3. Follow label instructions and use common sense.
4. Be sure to keep a 75 ft. spectator distance.
5. Never point or throw fireworks at another person.
6. Use fireworks outdoors only in a clear area away from buildings, vehicles and shrubbery and have water handy.
7. Never carry fireworks in your pocket or shoot them in metal or glass containers.
8. Wear eye protection and never have any portion of your body over the firework.
9. Launch rockets from a tube or a rack.
10. Don’t experiment with homemade fireworks and never attempt to relight a firework.
11. Light only one firework at a time.
12. Put ball into tube with flat end down and with fuse extending out of tube.
Please remember that popping fireworks is illegal in Abbeville city limits.
“Please do not pop them in the city limits,” stressed Abbeville Police Chief Tony Hardy. “If officers catch people popping them, they will be confiscated.”